I will be posting a devotional every week, maybe a few times a week. I hope that they encourage you on the Christian path as they do for me.
Here are some resources to help you with the devotionals. They help to understand the verses better, a parallel Bible to see a verse in 2 different Bible versions, and a hymnal search site.
Commentary of the Bible- http://www.biblestudytools.com/commentaries/jamieson-fausset-brown/
Parallel Bible- http://www.biblestudytools.com/parallel-bible/
Hymn search- http://www.hymnary.org/
The Sin of Misplaced Hope - Job 31:24-28
The Devil blinds the lost to keep them from being born again; he distracts the saved to keep them from successfully serving the Lord, but he often accomplishes both by the same means, giving men misplaced hopes. Job understood that misplaced hope (Job 31:24-27) was a sin and acknowledged it as such in Job 31:28. Some place their hopes in wealth, others in careers, others in family, others in science, and others in physical well-being, but all will be disappointed in the end. Hope placed in anything other than the Lord Himself, His perfect words, and His work on sinful man’s behalf is sin and will eventually leave one with no hope at all.
- God does not want us to trust in anything other than Him (Acts 4:12; Psalms 49:15). Trust in anything else is of no value (Psalm 49:6-7, 16-19; Psalm 146:3-6; Proverbs 28:26a; Jeremiah 17:5-6).
- Think of some things in which men place their hope. Why are these hopes misplaced? How are these things unable to offer true and lasting hope?
- How does misplaced hope hinder your life now? How will it affect your immediate future? How could it change your reward or destination for eternity?
- Ask God to keep you from misplaced hope.
- Thank God for giving you a true and lasting hope.
Day By Day
Many thanks for this devotional to:Learn the Bible