Friday

Soup!! Soup!! Hurray!!

Cooking (before I added the carrots)


I was hoping that I would get into my fall/winter cooking mode soon. That is when I love to make hearty meals that stick to your ribs and mouth watering desserts that nestle in your belly to make it feel so good! Finally I got into the mode as of yesterday!

I decided to make homemade chicken and potato soup. I have never made my chicken soup with potatoes but wanted to add something besides pasta. I saw a recipe online and it looked very good and filling. I didn't follow that recipe though because I didn't care for some of the ingredients. All I did was follow my own chicken soup recipe and just added potatoes. You can either make a broth type or a creamy type. I made the broth type.

You can change up my recipe to your liking and add or omit ingredients. Or you can make it exactly like I did, but if you do, please let me know how it came out! You will notice that I  normally don't use measurements, I just add according to my taste.

Chicken and Potato Soup

Bone in chicken (you can use pre-cut or cut up a whole chicken. remove skin if you desire)
Potatoes ( I used 4 large and cut them into small pieces after I boiled them for 13 minutes)
Carrots - baby carrots or regular carrots cut
1 to 2 cans of chicken broth
Onion
Parsley
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Poultry seasoning
Sea Salt
Black Peppercorns (grind them)

Place chicken in a large boiling pot of water. After some time of boiling you may seem some foam at the top of the water, just skim it off. After 15 min of boiling, lower heat to medium and continue for 40 minutes. Add the cut carrots, spices, broth, cut onion in the last 40 min of cooking..then when time is up, remove the chicken to a plate. Let the chicken cool first then remove the meat from the bones. You can easily tear it off and then place the chicken meat back into the broth. Simmer the broth and mix frequently.

Place the whole potatoes in a pan of boiling water for 13 min. Remove the potatoes and allow to cool on a cutting board. When cool, cut them to desired size. Add potatoes to the broth, mix well. Continue to simmer for about 15 minues and add more spices according to your taste. Allow soup to sit before serving. (It really tastes better the next day when all of the spices are allowed to sit for awhile). Place any leftover soup in fridge. You may have some fat on the broth after it has been refrigerated, you can remove it before heating it up or leave it for flavor.

Enjoy!!

Mmmmm delicious!!














1 comment:

I look forward to your comments!