Tuesday

Homemade Hamburger Buns!

 

Seeded Hamburger Buns

  • 3/4 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tablespoons butter or oil
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 tablespoons sesame seeds 
  • 2 teaspoons instant yeast
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder, optional
  • 2 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour

Topping

  • 2 tablespoons Everything Bread and Bagel Topping
  • 1 large egg white (to shine top of buns after baking)

Directions

1) To make the dough: Combine all of the dough ingredients, and mix and knead them, by hand, mixer, or bread machine, to make a soft dough.
2) Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover, and let it rise in a warm place for an hour, until it's almost doubled in size.
3) Turn the dough out onto a lightly greased surface, flatten it slightly, and divide it into 6 pieces, each weighing about 3 1/2 to 4 ounces.
4) Roll each piece into a ball.
5) Place balls into the greased cups of a hamburger bun pan, flattening gently.
6) Cover and let rise until the buns have doubled in size. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 375°F.
7) Bake the buns for 10 minutes. Remove them from the oven, brush with lightly beaten egg white and sprinkle with sesame seeds; do this quickly, or the seeds won't stick!
8) Return the buns to the oven and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until they're golden brown. Remove from the oven, and cool on a rack.

3 comments:

  1. Rena, those look seriously fabulous!!! I have never been good with yeast recipes, so I am jealous! :-P Also, I wanted to answer your question that you asked on my blog (about where our cabin is) but I didn't want to say so publicly, and I don't see an email contact link for you here on your blog, so I am going to DM you via Twitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I have not made them yet. I shared this recipe that a friend sent to me. She says they are delicious!!

    I am very frugal and am always looking for ways to save money so this recipe is good for me.

    If you try them let me know how they come out.

    I hope to try making them this coming weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Miss Frugal, Fabulous, Fun, Fantastic Food Finding Female....these look very wonderful....thought I better stop with the F words!!! LOL....but, I do hope you are having a great FRIDAY! :o) XO

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to your comments!